Tuesday 2 June 2009

Bridezilla

I confess: I had three Bridezilla moments.
Mark said he was very proud of me.
Considering I was marrying Groomzilla, that was saying something.
The first was my dealings with Information, trying to obtain a phone number.
If you work the Information line, take my advise; if you are dealing with a screaming mimi on the other end of the phone, you are dealing with a stressed out bride. Saying; "now, now dearie," is going to cause a sudden blast and you find yourself  a pile of ciders. Just take a deep breath and move heaven and earth if need be to find the phone number she is demanding and no one will get hurt.
The dodo I was dealing with didn't know this. And it didn't help when Mark, having found my personal phonebook, pointed to the very number I was looking for.
But imformation couldn't find it....
Mark, taking his life in his hands, started laughing at me. For I was screaming, storming about my tiny apartment: "What I want is my hairdresser's telephone number! Is that so much to ask?"
Mark took me in his arms, kissed my forehead and held me for a few minutes, allowing me a good cry.
Then, letting me go, he stepped and showed me what I looked like...
Stomp, stomp stomp..."I want that number and I want it NOOOOWWWW!"
I couldn't help but laugh at want I really looked like.
Next was the invivtations. My niece design our wedding invivations. Using Parchment paper, the invitations looked like scrolls.
And of course there  several complaints because they weren't "real wedding invitation" i.e not Emily Post approved.
Without getting into the details (Because it was done as a favor and we really did appreate the effort) there were problems with the printing job and tempers flew. The shock: no one expects ME to get angry. Because I am so 'nice' it is assured I will just roll over. There are several former classmates who ended up with busted lips who would tell you otherwise. When I let out a blast of flames, the matter was quickly settled.
The next was four days before the wedding and it had to do with the wedding party itself.
 In this case we were willing to make a compromise, but I let it be known the parties involved should have come to us instead of running to someone else. At this point I was ready to clute the whole thing and elope; with or without Mark.
Please don't ask me what that means: I was a stressed out bride at this time.
And then came the tirara. Each of the bridesmaids were going to wear a tiria since I was wearing a Coined Crown.
Would you believe there was a problem with that as well?
Lesson: Maid/Matron of Honour/brides's maids: it's the Bride's day. Please don't insist on YOUR way. Your role is an honour, not a right. Your job is to support your friend/ sister, and do the jobs you are asked. And as long as you are not asked to dye your hair green or shave it bald, don't kick up a fuss if your asked to have it curled, braided, upswept.
Brides: be willing to compromise. If you wish to keep these relationships after the wedding. Be willing to listen, be willing to give several options. And if it that important to you, be willing to pick up part of the cost.
But brides and grooms aren't mind readers. If your Tux or bride'smaid dress is something you can't allow, we are willing to work with you, even help with cost or make some changes since your presence is important to us.
We did this and we still have wonderful relationships with all but one that was in our wedding party.
All in all, I think I did ok.
For a Bridezille.




4 comments:

DB said...

Dear Bridezilla, just keep saying to yourself "I will survive, I will survive."

DB

Unknown said...

I did :)
Thanks, Love

Merry'sthoughtshopesdreamsandshemes said...

Laini, It's been so long since I heard from you. I have sent you many emails, but I thought you had dropped me. That'd be okay, except I needed to know why. Well, now it sounds that you have just been super busy and doing the beautiful work that you do for others. I love your honesty, and humaness (sp?), and your sense of humor is contagious! Our two gransons are now 2 & 5 months! Jonathan David (Jack), is a handsome tall slender boy, typical 2 year old, the little boy has turned into a toddler. Joseph Russell (Russell was my Dad's name and my son, Tim's middle name, has become my special angel. He is bald yet. Dave is closer to Jack so, everything works out. Dave is now retired. Thanks for sending me your Blogspot address. I have missed you! But understand sometimes people just lose touch. Still, send me a note when you can. I'd love it! May our Heavenly Father bless you! Take care.
Love Always, Merry

Trina said...

Love the Bridezilla, made me giggle!

I hope you had a fantastic day after all that stress, you look lovely on the photo :o)

Trina xx