Saturday 11 October 2008

Back to Iraq

When Mark and I were first becoming friends, there was one evening I found him asleep on my sofa. And I had to softy wake him up. He felt so bad, but I told him I was flatter; it met that he felt comfortable. He told me that I was a "strange, rare lady." Then he looked me straight in the eye and said "I feel like I am home here."
And that is why he spend so much time with me; he felt safe, he flet at home.
That night at Mark's Happy Birthday-Welcome Home-Come Back Safe party, I was feeling sad, for I would have to say goodbye for another six months. And it was hard.
I remembe Mark speaking to someone and pointing to me saying: "Laini is mad at me because I have to go back."

I came over and said, "Yes, I am sorry to sse you go and will miss you every much. But I also know you have a job to do and I am very proud of your service to this country. And I will be here waiting for you when you get back."
He was pleased with that answer.
After the evening was over, he drove me home and said, "Well, I'll see you later." Everyone had recieved hugs. I get "I"ll see you later."
I reminded him that he had an order of brownies he had to take back for the buddie covering for him. So, he said he would come by early before he flew out and pick them up.
I called my mum in tears, stating everyone got hugs and kisses, I get 'see you later!'My mum is so wise.
"Laini, do you know that he did that because it is so hard for him to say goodbye to you. That you are the hardest one for him to leave?"
I felt better.
As said, a buddie covered for Mark and he said his lady made the best brownies (I didn't know at the time he was calling me his lady) and she made Mark promise to have me make brownies for her. Which I did. So they were safe in the freezer until Mark's return.
He stopped by and came for the brownies and said he was glad he got to see me one more time before he left. I prayed for him and walked him to the door, knowing his father was waiting for him. He gave me one more hug and then bend down. He started to kiss me....then ran out the door, waving and yelling he would see me soon.
There was no longer any doubt in my mind.
Mark loved me.

No comments: